April 10, 1858, a group of like-minded Presbyterians of the
Mechanicsburg area gathered together to form a Presbyterian Church in
the town of Mechanicsburg because it was difficult for them to travel to
their church, Silver Spring Presbyterian Church. Most of the charter
members were former members of the Silver Spring Presbyterian Church.
The charter of the new church was filed on August 27, 1858, and recorded
on December 10, 1858. A church was erected on South Market Street that
the next 21 years the membership grew from the original 50 charter
members to 300. Growth continued to be steady, and May 1945, a letter
went out to members in an effort to raise $20,000 for the remodeling and
enlarging of the church. Times and thoughts changed so the
congregation decide to purchase a corn field at the edge of town. The
present church building was dedicated to the service of the Lord on June
growth necessitated the addition of a Christian Education wing. This
was dedicated on September 15, 1963. Membership had now reached over
the 1,000 mark and the church was continually expanding its service to
the community. During this time, in addition to the Senior Pastor, the
church had several Assistant pastors and installed their first Associate
pastor in 1972.
the 1990’s the church facilities were renovated with a one
million-dollar building and improvement program; and expanded with the
purchase of the parish House/Youth Center, which is located at 303 East
the turn of the century, the Church has added an Associate Pastor of
Youth and Young Adults, purchased a manse at 300 East Keller Street.
we are a congregation of 605 active members guided by a Senior
Pastor/Head of Staff, an Associate Pastor for Youth and Young Adults,
and 17 ruling elders.
Mechanicsburg Presbyterian Church300 East Simpson Street | Mechanicsburg, PA 17055717-697-0351